The foreign jury about the competition for the building of Technopark of Sberbank
On April 20 in Moscow, the results of the international competition for the architectural concept of Technopark of Sberbank in Skolkovo were announced. The winner of the competition - ZAHA HADID ARCHITECTS (Great Britain).
Five leading architectural firms were selected to participate in the competition: Foster + Partners (UK); Zaha Hadid Architects (UK); Eric Owen Moss Architects (USA); SPEECH (Russia); Fuksas (Italy). These companies worked at architectural and urban planning conceptions of the new building of Technopark of Sberbank in December 2016 – April 2016.
David Adjaye (UK) Architect, the founder of the architectural bureau Adjaye Associates, author the project Campus Skolkovo Moscow School of Management: «This is an exciting project for Sberbank, and for Russia. I am very grateful that you considered me to be part of the Jury and wish to extend my thanks to Sberbank of Russia PJSC, Institute of General Plan of Moscow and the Government of the City of Moscow.
I found the competition to be very well organised. The presentations provided good context, were professional and well done. Our opinions were sought and arguments made very fairly; good outcomes as a result ».
Christine Feireiss (Germany) Architectural Critic and Expert, Founder of the Aedes Independent Architectural Forum: «Having been juror in quite a number of international architecture competitions in Russia over years it seems to me that the new Sberbank Technopark - together with the Zaryadye Park in the Center of Moscow- are right now the most advanced and pioneering project in Russia.To select the right project for the Sberbank Technopark in New Moscow, which is conceptualized as a center of competence of IT innovations, goes far beyond choosing an excellent design solution. It is about creating a complex environment for activities aimed to developing new systems and projects in the field of advances technologies by combining work spaces of hight quality dedicated to the IT requirements, conference rooms, meeting points, recreation zones, a center for public presentations and events and cafes for employees and guests. At the same time architecture and interior design of the new headquarter in the Skolkovo Innovation Center should express and strongly visualize the innovative and social principles of the Sberbank company.
The jury had only one day to make their decision but because of the detailed and carefully prepared comments of the experts - including the engineering technical reports, the aspects of sustainability, the prove of the cost-effectivity, the functional zoning, the climatic conditions in the building etc. - in combination with the personal presentation of each architecture studio and the chance to ask questions, the jury members were able to get a deep inside in each project.
All projects from the participants - Eric Owen Moss Architects, USA, Foster + Partner, GB, Massimiliano Fuksas, Italy, SPEECH, Moscow and Zaha Hadid Architects - were of a high standard and at the same time they showed a wide spectrum of design and conceptual solution. It was the task of the jury not only to evaluate if and how the different projects meet the given program and requirements, it was also about the issue of corporate identity.
The final discussion of the jury which project meets the requirements of the competition best, took place in a very constructive and open atmosphere. The winning project of Zaha Hadid Architects was selected by an unanimous vote. The project of Zaha Hadid Architects with its remarkable infrastructure concept is above all a significant build statement of the principals, aims and visions of the Sberbank Technopark as a multi-functional place for people, for creativity and leisure, production and education, cutting-edge technologies, discoveries and inventions - and all aspects brought together in an unifying outstanding architecture »
The members of the jury included representatives of the Customer, Moscow City Government and international experts:
- German Gref (Russia), President and Chairman of the Board, Sberbank PJSC.
- Lev Khasis (Russia), First Deputy Chairman of the Board, Sberbank PJSC.
- Stanislav Kuznetsov (Russia), Deputy Chairman of the Board, Sberbank PJSC.
- Vadim Kulik (Russia), Deputy Chairman of the the Board, Sberbank PJSC.
- Anton Yakovenko (Russia), General Director of Joint Directorate for Assets and Services Management (JDAS), Skolkovo.
- Marat Khusnullin (Russia), Deputy Mayor of Moscow in the Government of Moscow for Urban Development and Construction.
- Sergey Kuznetsov (Russia), First Deputy Chairman of the Moscow City Architecture and Urban Planning Committee, Chief Architect of Moscow.
- Christine Feireiss (Germany), Architectural Critic and Expert, Founder of the Aedes Independent Architectural Forum.
- Jean Pistre (France), Head of the French Architectural Bureau Valode&Pistre. Chairman of the Skolkovo Urban Council.
- David Adjaye (UK), Architect, the founder of the architectural bureau Adjaye Associates, author the project Campus Skolkovo Moscow School of Management.